Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Body-Jet Liposuction in Grand Rapids, MI
A toned, well defined body is the goal of those watch their diet and exercise. Despite our efforts, at times there are areas of the body that seem to resist our intentions leaving behind localized, unwanted areas of fat. Body- Jet is the latest technique in water-assisted liposuction that can help reduce those areas of fat effectively and with minimal downtime.
Body-Jet uses a gentle, pulsating spray of water to dislodge unwanted body fat while it is simultaneously suctioned from the body. Body-Jet presents a good alternative to those patients who have more volume to remove or those who desire a natural, long-lasting filler for the face or body. Dr. Steven Ringler is the only plastic surgeon in Grand Rapids, Michigan to offer Body- Jet liposuction, in addition to the wide range of body contouring procedures performed at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.
What is Body-Jet™ Liposuction?
Body-Jet is a new water assisted liposuction treatment, recently approved by the FDA, for removing unwanted areas of fat that do not respond to diet and exercise. Body-Jet utilizes a unique pulsating water technique to dislodge the fat while simultaneously removing the fat cells through a very small cannula. Body-Jet is an outpatient procedure that causes minimal discomfort and little downtime.
Fat harvested by the Body-Jet does minimal damage to the fat cells once they are removed, so they may be used to fill other areas of the body, such as the face, hands or body with more success than with typical fat grafting where the fat cells have been damaged in the process of removal.
- More gentle than other forms of liposuction.
- Quicker, more efficient procedure.
- Reduced bruising and discomfort.
- Minimizes swelling, allowing more precise fat removal.
- Fat cells remain intact for transplantation if needed.
- May be performed under local anesthesia.
Body -Jet liposuction may used in combination with other cosmetic procedures such as a MACS facelift or tummy tuck. Areas frequently reshaped by Body-jet liposuction include:
- Abdomen and trunk – waist, hips and love handles
- Back and flanks
- Inner and outer thighs
- Male breast
Who is a candidate for Body-Jet liposuction?
Women and men of various ages and from many circumstances choose Body-Jet liposuction. Patients with isolated areas of fat that are close to optimal weight but may have more volume are the best candidates. These and other factors generally define good candidates for liposuction procedures:
- You have a minimal amount of excess skin and good skin elasticity. Loss of skin elasticity with age can compromise lipoplasty results, but if your skin maintains elasticity, age alone is not a contraindication for liposuction surgery.
- You have localized deposits of fat in your abdomen, arms, thighs and/or neck, which may be the result of heredity and do not disappear with exercise and diet.
- You are physically fit, no more than 20 pounds overweight, and your weight is stable. If you are planning to lose a significant amount of weight or even gain weight (for example, due to pregnancy), this is not the time to undergo liposuction.
- Keep in mind that liposuction does not remove cellulite and cannot tighten loose skin. Your surgeon will be able to recommend other procedures to improve those conditions.
If you are in good general health and have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
How does Body-Jet work?
Body- Jet liposuction allows Dr. Ringler to simultaneously introduce gentle pulses of fluid into the body while dislodging and removing the fat with a cannula. It is designed to loosen the fat using a unique pulsating fluid spray, which separates it from other tissue effectively with minimal trauma. Fat cells that are removed by Body-Jet do not grow back. Typically, any post procedure weight gain is distributed elsewhere in the body.
What should I know about Body Jet liposuction?
Liposuction will result in weight loss from a few to several pounds due to the reduction of tissue. However, this procedure is not an alternative to a weight loss program and patients must maintain their preoperative routine and diet and exercise program to maintain their results
The incisions for Body Jet liposuction are very small. The placement of incisions for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation. Body Jet Liposuction is performed on an outpatient basis. Body Jet is most commonly performed under local anesthesia and requires much less downtime than traditional liposuction.
What can I expect after Body Jet liposuction
Following your procedure, you will experience some swelling, potential bruising and some soreness in the treated area. Recovery ranges are much less than with traditional liposuction. Within the day following surgery, you will return to normal, light activity. Recovery is usually easy and quick with Body- Jet liposuction.
Results may be long lasting, but weight loss/gain or pregnancy can change your results and normal aging and gravity may affect your outcome. You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your surgery. All surgeries carry the potential for risks, all of which will be discussed with you during your consultation.
To learn more about Body -Jet liposuction in Grand Rapids, Michigan, contact the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery by calling 616-328-8800.