The arms, buttocks, thighs, and hips can all lose firmness and youthful curves over time, resulting in sagging skin and unwanted flab. Specialized body contouring procedures are designed to correct these areas of concern – reducing excess skin, fat, and loose tissue and revealing a more defined figure.
What is a body lift?
Michigan men and women of various ages request a body lift to reshape sagging and loose skin due to:
- Massive weight loss
- Hereditary conditions
- Other weight fluctuations
The procedure can be customized to treat one or many regions of the body. With a body lift, patients typically want to tighten loose tissue and minimize sagging skin on the hips, buttocks, arms, groin and/or thighs.
Why choose Dr. Ringler?
Dr. Steven L. Ringler is a board-certified plastic surgeon located in Grand Rapids, MI who is internationally recognized for his accomplishments in plastic surgery. He will take the time to listen to your unique goals, evaluate your condition, and design an individualized treatment plan that helps you achieve natural, attractive curves – ensuring that you feel strong, fit and more confident than ever.
What to expect
Dr. Ringler may perform your Grand Rapids body contouring procedure on an outpatient or inpatient basis, depending on the extent of your surgery. General anesthesia is typically recommended for this procedure. Once you are sedated, he will make a series of incisions depending on the treatment areas.
To correct sagging skin on the buttocks, hips, and outer thighs, Dr. Ringler will make an incision that extends around the body may be used to treat the abdomen, hips, and back. And finally, incisions in the groin area allow him to correct excess skin on the inner thighs. Depending on the scope of your condition, this cut may extend as far as the knee.
Through those carefully placed openings, Dr. Ringler will remove excess skin and fat, while repositioning and tightening the soft tissues in the area. He will then close the incisions in a way that supports your new contours and minimizes scarring.
Recovery and Results
You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after surgery. Body lift recovery varies by individual. Most of our Michigan patients require two to three weeks before returning to normal, moderate daily life.
You will notice an immediate improvement in your shape after your Michigan body contouring surgery. However, it can take up to two years for the results to finalize. Your body lift transformation will be long-lasting, but weight fluctuations or pregnancy can change your results. In addition, normal aging and gravity may affect your body over time.
Am I a candidate?
A body lift can help Michigan men and women reshape body features that cannot be enhanced through diet and exercise alone. The procedure can dramatically improve the shape and proportion of your figure, enhancing your appearance and self-esteem.
Although a body lift may result in weight loss, it is not an alternative to a suitable weight loss program. It is designed to help individuals sculpt their body and tighten loose skin. As such, it is ideal for patients who are within 30% of their ideal weight for their height and frame. In addition, you may be considered an ideal candidate if you:
- You have undergone bariatric surgery or significant weight loss through dieting.
- Pregnancy and/or aging have left you with loose skin and cellulite below the waistline.
- You have loose skin on your hips, the sides and fronts of your thighs, your inner thighs and your abdomen.
- You have significant skin laxity, excess skin, ptosis (sagginess) of the buttocks and abdominal wall laxity.
- You are willing to accept a thin circumferential scar around your waist.
- You do not smoke. Smoking slows down the healing process and increases the risk of serious complications during and after surgery. If you smoke, you must quit at least six weeks before surgery.
- Your weight has been stable for at least a year, with no further weight loss expected. For optimal results, body contouring should not be done for about two years after the start of any massive-weight-loss program. This time allows your skin to shrink as much as possible and your nutrition to be stabilized and optimized, factors that will aid in your recovery.
- You are in overall good health without chronic medical conditions such as diabetes or heart disease. People in poor health are not good candidates for body contouring procedures. You must obtain clearance for plastic surgery from your primary care physician or from doctors treating you for medical conditions.
- You have a healthy diet. Problems such as protein deficiencies can interfere with healing.
- You have mental stamina. Surgical contouring procedures require patience and endurance.
If you are in good general health and have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
What will my scars look like?
Scars are inevitable after your Grand Rapids body contouring procedure. Depending on the extent of your surgery, they may be located around the body, in the groin area, or in the buttock. However, Dr. Ringler is able to hide them in discreet locations, where they will be covered by clothing and swimwear once you’ve healed.
How much does a body lift cost?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons in 2017, the average cost of a lower body lift is between $7,000 and $10,000. However, this can vary greatly depending on the experience of your surgeon, your location, and the specific body parts you’re having treated.
What are the risks?
All surgeries carry risks which will be fully discussed with you during your private consultation at our Grand Rapids, MI office. Potential complications of body lift surgery include bleeding, infection, excessive scarring, fluid accumulation, unsatisfactory cosmetic results, and more.