Breast implants are medical devices implanted to improve breast size, enhance the shape and firmness of your breast, or to restore a breast that has been disfigured or lost as a result of cancer or prior surgeries.
A Comprehensive, Personalized Approach
Grand Rapids Silicone Gel Breast Implants
A multitude of breast implant types, styles, shapes and sizes are available to achieve natural-looking results for nearly every woman’s body. Rigorously tested for their safety, Dr. Ringler offers you the option of saline or silicone gel breast implants. Dr. Ringler is the only Grand Rapids plastic surgeon who specializes in the transaxillary or “scarless” breast augmentation. Our Crisalix 3D Imaging and Simulation technology will allow you to see the projection of either silicone or saline implants on a 3D image of your own body, as well as various size options. This new, web-based 3D imaging technology is available to you at no charge during your consultation. Dr. Ringler will discuss advantages and disadvantages of saline and silicone gel implants at that time. Ultimately, the decision on which implant type you prefer is up to you.
What are silicone gel breast implants?
Implants filled with soft, stable and elastic gel that feels and moves like natural breast tissue. Silicone breast implants come in multiple sizes, shapes and projections, and are available to women age 22 and older who seek to enhance natural breast sizes and shapes, or for breast reconstruction.
Why might silicone gel breast implants be recommended for me?
Only breast implants can permanently increase the size of your breasts and bring your body into better proportion. These implants give a very natural, and stable appearance to the breast. The result for many women includes enhanced self-confidence and a more positive body image.
Who is a candidate for silicone gel breast implants?
A Comprehensive, Personalized Approach
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider breast augmentation:
- You believe your breasts are too small for your body.
- You feel self-conscious wearing a swimsuit or form-fitting or low-cut tops.
- Clothes that fit your hips are too large at the bust line.
- Your breasts do not fill out your brassiere.
- Your breasts have become smaller or less firm after you've had children.
- Your breasts have become smaller due to weight loss.
- One of your breasts is noticeably smaller than the other.
- You have sagging breasts, which may benefit from both augmentation and a breast lift.
If you are in good health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
What should I know about silicone gel breast implants?
- Breast augmentation is generally performed on an out-patient basis
- The placement of your implants may be beneath your breast tissue, partially beneath the pectoral or chest muscle, or combination of the two
- The incision pattern for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed in the underarm area leaving no visible scar on the breast.
- Return to normal activities of daily living is usually between 24-48 hours with minimal restrictions. Full sports activity – running, jogging, high impact aerobics is usually 3 weeks
- Results are permanent, but weight loss/gain or pregnancy can change your results and normal aging and gravity may affect outcome
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the surgery center or recovery center
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation
For more information about breast implants, please call 616.328.8800 or contact the office of Grand Rapids plastic surgeon Dr. Steven L. Ringler at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.