Sculptra is a cosmetic treatment that has revolutionized how people perceive dermal fillers. While most traditional dermal fillers use hyaluronic acid to produce short-term cosmetic results, Sculptra encourages your body to naturally enhance its own volume and reverse the signs of aging for up to two years.
What is Sculptra?
Sculptra is an injectable dermal filler composed of a collagen stimulator called poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA). When injected into the soft tissue of the face, PLLA catalyzes your body’s collagen production capacities to gradually and naturally add volume, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
How does Sculptra work?
Collagen is a protein fiber that serves as the foundation for your skin, holding it together to make it look voluminous, full, smooth, and supple. As we age, our body’s ability to produce collagen decreases, leading to skin laxity and wrinkles. Poly-L-lactic acid, Sculptra’s core component, stimulates collagen production, encouraging your body to naturally reverse the signs of aging, filling up the wrinkles and making your skin look firm and taut.
Is Sculptra safe?
Sculptra is a completely safe and effective procedure. In 2004, Sculptra received FDA approval to treat HIV patients with lipoatrophy, a condition that caused severe facial fat loss. In 2014, Sculptra Aesthetic received FDA approval to treat facial wrinkles, creases, and fine lines.
What does Sculptra treat?
Sculptra was originally proposed as a treatment for lipoatrophy in people with HIV. However, it’s now typically recommended for facial volume correction. It can also have mild results with:
- Smoothing wrinkles
- Filling facial creases
- Reducing fine lines
- Minimizing laugh lines
- Decreasing chin wrinkles
- Improving texture
- Firming face laxity
What can I expect from the Sculptra procedure?
- Consultation: During the initial consultation, our RN or PA will discuss your expectations, medical history, and allergies to determine if you’re a suitable candidate for the procedure.
- Treatment Map: If you’re a suitable candidate, we will create a treatment map, marking the targeted injection sites based on your aesthetic goals.
- Topical Anesthesia: Sculptra doesn’t cause much pain or discomfort, the cosmetic injector can apply a topical numbing cream on the injection sites if necessary.
- Administering Sculptra: Finally, the cosmetic injector will use a cannula blunt needle to inject Sculptra into the targeted treatment sites. The number of vials administered is determined by age of the patient, one's goals, and the volume lost or degree of facial wasting seen.
- Recovery: There’s no downtime, allowing you to resume most daily activities immediately. However, you’ll be given some recovery guidelines to help with any mild swelling, bruising, irritation, and redness on the injection sites for a few days. We recommend 1-2 vials per year for maintenance.