Known for natural, aesthetic results and an unrivaled dedication to his patients, Dr. Steven L. Ringler will walk you through every step of your Grand Rapids breast augmentation – from your initial consultation to your post-operative care – ensuring that you feel taken care of throughout your experience.
A Comprehensive, Personalized Approach
What is breast augmentation surgery?
Michigan breast augmentation surgery enhances your breast size and shape with a surgically placed implant. Your desired breast shape, size, and projection, along with your natural breast tissue, frame, and body size, are all evaluated to establish enhanced, proportional, and beautiful breasts.
Customize your breasts
A new body that’s uniquely yours
Enhance your breast size or volume, improve the shape or firmness of your chest, and create a totally natural appearance through breast augmentation with Dr. Ringler. Your individualized plan includes:
- Selection of the type of implant (silicone, saline or IDEAL Structured Saline Implant)
- Shape and size of your breast implants, depending on your desired results
- Positioning of the breast implant, which is determined by your natural breast tissue, fitness level, and lifestyle choices
Every woman is unique. As such, your breast augmentation experience will be tailored to fit your goals and body. There are decisions and trade-offs you will make based on the type of implant you choose. All of these factors will be fully discussed during your consultation at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.
Saline, Silicone, or IDEAL Implant:
Which breast implants are right for you?
- Silicone breast implants are composed of a silicone shell filled with silicone gel. They look and feel very natural. A future rupture may go undetected because the gel will remain within the scar tissue capsule which forms around the implant during healing, (often referred to as a silent rupture).
- Saline implants are composed of a silicone shell, filled with sterile salt water. If a rupture occurs, the entire implant will collapse and the saline will be harmlessly absorbed.
- IDEAL Implants are structured breast implants and the newest implants on the market. They consist of a series of implant shells nested together, and two separate chambers that hold the saline. It is made with standard implant materials, yet uses an advanced internal structure to control movement of the saline and support the implant edges to reduce collapse and wrinkling. IDEAL Implants give you the natural look and feel of a silicone breast implant without the worry of silent rupture.
See your new breasts in 3D
Plan your procedure
Dr. Ringler is now offering women considering breast augmentation surgery the complementary use of our Crisalix 3D Breast Imaging and Simulating technology. This is the first web-based 3D breast imaging technology that allows you to see a simulation of various types and sizes of breast implants as they would look on your own body prior to surgery. This system also enables you to view the images in various types of clothing, including bathing suits and eveningwear, for a clear representation of what you may achieve through surgery.
The images will be available to you from your own computer, so you may discuss them with family and friends if you so desire.
In addition, Dr. Ringler offers implant sizers and precise measuring so women seeking breast augmentation can be assured that their breast implants match their own goals for beautiful, natural looking breasts.
Why choose Dr. Ringler?
A Comprehensive, Personalized Approach
As an internationally-renowned, board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Steven L. Ringler has been performing saline and silicone gel breast implant surgery for over 35 years. He is the only Grand Rapids plastic surgeon focusing on the transaxillary or underarm incision approach to breast augmentation for both saline, silicone gel and IDEAL implants. This approach is unique because it eliminates post-surgical scarring on the breasts.
Dr. Ringler is also an advocate of Rapid Recovery following breast surgery and will discuss this option with you during your complimentary consultation. Dr. Ringler is the first plastic surgeon in Grand Rapids to be able to offer women the choice of IDEAL structured breast implants. As a Premier IDEAL Implant provider, Dr. Ringler is one of the most experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in the country utilizing the IDEAL Implant.
Dr. Ringler strongly believes in the offering women a full range of options when it comes to breast implants. He does not offer the Gummy Bear or other textured implants, as there have been some long-term safety concerns associated with textured implants. All implants at the Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery, regardless of type, are smooth implants.
What to expect
Breast augmentation surgery is performed on an outpatient basis and under general anesthesia. Once you are sedated, Dr. Ringler will create an incision. Most of our Michigan patients have their incision placed within the armpit (transaxillary). However, alternative options include around the nipple (periareolar), and under the breast (inframammary). A transaxillary approach may be used for all types of breast implants.
Through that opening, Dr. Ringler will place your implants beneath your breast tissue, partially beneath the pectoral or chest muscle, or a combination of the two. After checking your implants for fit and symmetry, Dr. Ringler will close the incisions with care to minimize scarring. You will be free to return home immediately following surgery to rest and begin the healing process.
Immediately after breast augmentation surgery, you will need a capable adult to drive you home and stay with you for at least 24 hours. Most of our Grand Rapids patients can return to their normal activities of daily living between 24 and 48 hours with minimal restrictions.
However, full sports activity – such as running, jogging, and high-impact aerobics – must be avoided for around four weeks. Any future weight fluctuations and pregnancies, along with the normal aging process and gravity, can affect your results over time.
Am I a candidate?
A Comprehensive, Personalized Approach
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider breast augmentation:
- You believe your breasts are too small for your body.
- You feel self-conscious wearing a swimsuit or form-fitting or low-cut tops.
- Clothes that fit your hips are too large at the bust line.
- Your breasts do not fill out your brassiere.
- Your breasts have become smaller or less firm after you've had children.
- Your breasts have become smaller due to weight loss.
- One of your breasts is noticeably smaller than the other.
- You have sagging breasts, which may benefit from both augmentation and a breast lift.
If you are in good health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
How much does breast augmentation cost?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average fee for a breast augmentation in 2017 was between $5,000 and $15,000. During your consultation, our office will provide you with a unique, comprehensive quote based on your particular needs.
What will my scars look like?
The incision pattern for your surgery will be discussed during your consultation. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed in the underarm area with saline, silicone gel or IDEAL implants. There will be no scar on the breast themselves, but rather a very small incision under your armpit.
What are the risks?
All surgeries carry the potential for risks. Though complications are rare when the procedure is performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon, they may include capsular contracture, changes in nipple sensation, infection, implant rupture, and more.