The Types Of Breast Implants Offered By Dr. Steven Ringler
What do you know about your breast implant options? The breast implants you choose will affect how natural your results look, as well as how likely you are to need surgery in the future. But with so many opinions out there, how do you know you are getting good information? We created a quick primer on breast implants using only fact-based research to help you understand more about implants. Educating yourself on these options will help you make an empowered choice for your body.
Basic Types Of Breast Implants
What are the basic breast implant types you should know about? If you’ve spent any time researching breast implants, you have probably heard of saline, silicone gel, and structured implants. Each of these types is approved by the FDA and made with a solid silicone shell to hold in the filling. However, the features of each are very different.
- Saline Breast Implants: A saline breast implant is filled with a sterile salt water solution, which is the same liquid found in IV bags. Women like that the saline can be absorbed by the body, and a rupture is immediately evident by simply looking at the breasts. However, some women complain of an unnatural feel, and possible wrinkles or ripples under the skin.
- Silicone Gel Breast Implants: Women like this breast implant option because it provides a more natural look. The silicone gel inside is thick and sticky, giving the implant stability. But, unlike saline, silicone gel is not naturally absorbed by the body and a rupture is not easily detected. The FDA recommends and MRIs every few years to detect a “silent rupture”, and difficult removal surgery may be necessary if the silicone gel has leaked out of the breast capsule.
- IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implant: The IDEAL IMPLANT is the newest breast implant, set apart because of its internal structure. It is made with two chambers and baffled layers of solid silicone shell, filled with saline. Because it is filled with saline, there is no need to worry about a silent rupture or repeated MRIs. The internal structure controls the flow of saline so it moves and feels more like natural breast tissue. With this type of breast implant women get the best of both worlds – natural feel and no risk of silent rupture.
Dr. Ringler will provide more information about each implant, such as rupture risk and capsular contracture risk, at your consultation. Knowing the benefits and compromises of each breast implant type is an important first step in your journey.
More Breast Implant Options To Consider
After you choose saline, silicone gel, or structured breast implants, there are a few more options to consider.
- Shape: Saline breast implants and IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implants are round, and can be rolled to fit into a small incision during placement. Silicone gel breast implants can be round or shaped. Shaped implants are narrow at the top and full at the bottom to create a subtle look. Both round and shaped silicone gel implants require a longer incision because they are pre-filled. Shaped breast implants can shift or turn in the breast pocket which requires surgery to correct.
- Texture: Some breast implants have a rough texture on the surface of the solid silicone shell. Manufacturers use this to help the implant stay in place, and to reduce rippling. However, recent data suggests long-term complications may arise from textured breast implants prompting many plastic surgeons to no longer offer them. The IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implant is a smooth-surfaced breast implant.
- Profile: High profile breast implants offer fullness and projection at the top. Moderate profile breast implants have a more subtle look. One benefit of the IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implant is that it is filled during surgery. This allows your surgeon to slightly adjust the fill level to your desired results, including addressing asymmetry.
Explore Different Types Of Breast Implants With Dr. Ringler
Dr. Ringler provides a variety of breast implants for his patients because he knows how important it is to have access to choices. He will always provide the information you need to make the right choice for your body, and is available to answer your questions and concerns. Dr. Ringler is one of the exclusive plastic surgeons in the Grand Rapids area to offer the IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implant. The IDEAL IMPLANT not only provides beautiful results with peace of mind, it also has one of the lowest rates of complications available. If you’re considering a breast augmentation but don’t know where to start, schedule your consultation with Dr. Ringler today. Dr. Ringler will help you choose the right breast implant, and ensure you feel comfortable with every step of the process. Explore your breast implant options with one of the top surgeons in Grand Rapids. Call 616-328-8800 to start your journey.