Grand Rapids Gynecomastia Treatment
Gynecomastia is the term given to over-developed breasts in men. This is a relatively common condition in boys going through puberty and about 90% will outgrow it. However, the remaining 10% oftentimes are left feeling ostracized, alone, even humiliated by the condition.
Gynecomastia can affect men of any age. According to a report published by The Mayo Clinic, it occurs as a result of a hormonal imbalance in which testosterone levels are decreased relative to estrogen levels. Several common causes of this imbalance include: natural hormone changes, certain health conditions, exposure to anabolic steroids or estrogen, side effects of some medications or street drugs, and certain cancer treatments. However, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, in approximately 25 percent of boys and men the exact cause remains unknown. Depending on the cause, gynecomastia often resolves on its own or will resolve after treating any underlying medical conditions or stopping the usage of drugs associated with gynecomastia. At other times, surgical treatment may be necessary.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery can successfully treat Gynecomastia and is a fairly simple procedure. At times, Dr. Ringler will be able to utilize SmartLipo Triplex, laser liposuction to reduce the fatty area. If a surgical procedure is required, a small incision is made, generally around the lower portion of the aerola, and the extra tissue is removed. In more extreme cases, excess skin may also be excised. The length of the procedure varies depending on the type of treatment required, but satisfaction rates are high.
For more information about gynecomastia treatment (male breast reduction) or to schedule a consultation, please call Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Steven Ringler at 616.328.8800